Highly Purified Human Urofollitropin (h-FSH).
- This medicine is used to stimulate the development of a mature follicle and egg in women who are having difficulties getting pregnant due to problems with ovulation.
- It is used for women who have tried treatment with clomifene eg clomid, when this has been unsuccessful.
Dosage and Administration
- Your doctor will determine a suitable dose, which varies from individual to individual.
- Mixture: Mix 1 ampoule of saline solution with a maximum of 3 vials of 150 I.U or 6 vials of 75 I.U.
- The injections are administered either under the skin (subcutaneously) or into a muscle (intramuscularly). If you are going to administer the injections yourself, your doctor will show you how to inject them under the skin.
- Women with tumours of the pituitary or hypothalamic glands in the brain.
- Women with breast, uterine or ovarian cancer.
- Women with vaginal bleeding of unknown cause.
- Women with ovarian cysts or enlarged ovaries, not due to polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS).
- Women whose ovaries are not functioning properly.
- Women with blocked fallopian tubes, unless having IVF.
- Women with a physical defect of the reproductive organs (uterus, fallopian tubes, ovaries and/or cervix).
Common (affects 1 in 10 to 1 in 100):
• Over-stimulation of the ovaries (ovarian hyperstimulation), causing the production of many eggs.
• Bloating of the abdomen.
• Pain at the site of injection.
Uncommon (affects 1 in 100 to 1 in 1000):
• Disturbances of the gut, such nausea, abdominal pain, indigestion.
• Fatigue, Lethargy and Dizziness.
• Changes in mood.
• Difficulty in breathing (dyspnoea).
• Increased activity of the thyroid gland (hyperthyroidism).
• Nosebleeds (epistaxis).
• Flushing of the skin due to widening of the small blood vessels (erythema).
• Itching (pruritis).
• Breast pain and enlargement.
• Hot flushes.
• Urinary tract infection (cystitis).
• Increased bleeding time.
Consult a doctor or pharmacist if you use any other drugs to make sure combination is safe.
Pregnancy and Lactation
This medicine must not be used in women who are already pregnant or breastfeeding. Seek further medical advice from your doctor.
Warning and Precaution
Used with caution:
• Women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS).
• Women at risk of blood clots in the blood vessels (thromboembolism, e.g. Deep vein thrombosis or pulmonary embolism).
Package and Storage
- Package: Vial containing the powder with different concentration (75 IU/ml and 150 IU/ml) and solvent.
- Storage: Store Fostimon in its original packaging at room temperature (max 25°C).
Solution must be used immediately after mixing.